Dead Week - What Have I Accomplished?

I think the best photo I took this term was during the zombie siege I shot for Linn Benton's newspaper, The Commuter. This photo stands out because it has expression from each subject, and conveys fear and danger. It also became my first cover photo, so there might be some bias in my opinion ;). It reflects what I learned in Photojournalism because I captured the moment as it was, rather than staging something to create a powerful photo. It is authentic to the event that was being put on and I did not have to give much direction to the actors. 

My skills have gotten better this term because I think about the bigger picture and use the surroundings to give more of the story and create more of an impact on the viewer. For example, the photo I posted of Magdalena Hernández could have been cropped down to show just her, but by including the background, viewers are able to see that she works at an outside market and prepares food for her booth.

Another example is a photo I took in the Commons Cafe of a cream cheese danish. Alone you would not have known that the danish was being displayed to be eaten, but with the other danishes and a cake in a to-go box in the background, you can tell without reading the caption that the food is being sold for consumption.


The lead doctor, Sophie Brown lays trapped on the floor by infected patients. Participants witnessed the two zombies jump at her, knocking her to the floor as they claim her at their dinner.

Cream cheese danish. Students practice precision and presentation to show their skills to move them forward in the competition for a spot in the program next year.

My Goals for the Term:
1.) I would like to strengthen my Lightroom skills and learn Photoshop to the best of my ability
I achieved this goal by practicing my editing skills on Lightroom through experimenting and YouTube videos. We learned how to edit photos on Photoshop, but I resent my desire to learn Photoshop. Lightroom is a better fit for me.

2.) I want a deeper understanding of what it means to be a journalist and how I can impact someone by sharing their story
I achieved this goal by reading Lynsey Addario's book and learning about other photographers though lectures and the "Photographers of the Week."

3.) I want constructive criticism on my work and to be pushed out of my comfort zone.
I achieved this by posting a photo my teacher hated, but I kept it on my blog anyway because I personally liked it as well as receiving feedback on each assignment. I was pushed out of my comfort zone by shooting subjects who were uptight and did not appreciate me taking their photos, even with their consent.

Comments

Popular Posts